Web app properties when using Claims Based Auth

Sep 16, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I've got a web app set up with claims based authentication, and it seems this prevents the admin from accessing the properties for that web app. It's enough to just select the site in the pbs drop down menu, this instantly leads to Access Denied-page showing. I'm kinda clueless here -- suggestions, anyone?

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I'm having the same problem. Any ideias?

Dec 31, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I never figured it out, so I ended up taking a completely different route, dropping the pbs.

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:46 PM

Hey guys, 

I just ran into the same problem. I've used pbs for a long time on an other server and now after setting up a new vmware envoirement I get this errormessage. Since claims based authentification is not activated for the central administration I doubt thats the reason, why it's failing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:26 AM
I don't know if it's related, but I had a problem when trying to set
up a custom secure token service programatically. The code -- which I
found on a blog somewhere of course -- included a call to
SPFarm.Current (or something like that) which always failed due to
privileges. It didn't matter if I ran the code as an admin; it would
still fail.

I got around it by using PowerShell instead, but it got me wondering
if these two things were related (since it wouldn't come as a surprise
if PBS uses SPFarm.Current somewhere).
Jun 2, 2011 at 8:30 PM

This is not related to Claims, but to another one of SharePoint's peculiarities.

See this article for a summary: http://oidatsmyleg.wordpress.com/2008/08/08/threadabortexception-access-denied-and-openweb/

Will try to submit a patch soon-ish..

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Any release with this fix? For some reasons I also started experiencing this issue in some of my environments.

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:42 AM

My workaround is to use the application pool user which allows me to look into the property bags. It seems to be not about claims-based rather than using the "wrong user".

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

works for me also. When I logged in to the CA using account of CA's app pool identity - problem with Access denied page disappeared.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Fixed the relevant places in code by wrapping them into SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges block. For source code and wsp package see patch with ID 14211 (download link http://www.codeplex.com/Download?ProjectName=pbs2010&DownloadId=647700)